Updated: Oct 28, 2021
No matter what age you are, you all will agree to the fact that mother’s lap is the safest place on earth and there’s no substitute for the love and warmth it brings. Let us take this statement quite literally and talk about parental warmth and “how much is too much”. It is one of the most essential but neglected topics, as a result, many parents aren't able to draw a line between 'enough' and 'too much. We're here to make life a little easy for new parents (we know parenting is tough and we got your back!) we'll also try to answer all your questions on parental warmth.
According to Stanford Children Health and Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, Sanford, Babies can lose heat rapidly, nearly 4 times faster than an adult. Even healthy newborns can’t keep themselves warm if the temperature is too cold. Maintaining a balanced temperature is even more essential if your baby is sick or premature. Fluctuations or instability in temperature affect the oxygen levels of the body, as babies use energy and oxygen to maintain their temperature. In this situation, it is quite natural for new parents to be anxious about keeping them warm, safe, and comfortable. After all, the baby has just entered the world from the security of the mother’s womb.
Having said all of that, let me once again remind you, you aren't alone and you're at the right place, we've got you covered. Let us keep on reading further to understand the Dos and Don'ts.
5 Ways and Tips for the warm comfort
1. A warm crib: Indian society hasn't accepted "crib" yet, we feel that a “crib” is a talk of the west. A lot of parents don’t invest in a cradle or a crib at all. They believe that sleeping on the same bed as parents are best for the baby's health and growth. However, a temperature-regulated crib can do much more. You can preheat the crib with a hot bag. or an electric blanket and put your baby to a nice comfortable sleep and just let the crib do its job. Another way to keep your baby warm inside the crib is to use a swaddle blanket. All these will make sure that your baby is warm and secure in a crib and will sleep well and tight throughout the night. In addition, it also saves the little one from injuries that may happen accidentally while sleeping on the same bed.
2. A warm blanket or a quilt: Quilts and blankets should be used properly. Take care not to cover the nose to avoid nose blocking while the baby is asleep (there's a high probability that this may happen while sleeping on the same bed and using the same blanket). Don’t cover your baby’s head. Use a swaddle blanket as babies cannot regulate their body temperature. So, make sure not to leave blankets loose.
3. Choosing the right clothing materials: All of us want our babies to look most adorable, we often pick the most expensive and fancy-looking clothes from the malls and dress up our little ones, but seldom do we pay attention to the material of clothing we're picking. Organic cotton fabric is the perfect choice for babies in summers- First, it allows the skin to breathe, second, it is highly absorbent, and third, it is grown without the use of chemicals and fertilizers.
For winters Fleece can be the best choice, Synthetic Fleece is vegan and a great alternate to wool. Choosing Fleece against wool is advisable because fleece is much lighter when compared to the latter one. The lightweight provides room for layering, sans bulkiness, and is soft against the sensitive skin of the newborn.
4. A warm bath: According to expert pediatricians there are some dos and don’ts of a warm bath. Let’s list them out.
*Massage your baby with olive oil or any other baby oil for at least 15 minutes before bath to ensure that the oil penetrates the skin and keeps the baby warm.
*During the sponge bath, wrap your baby in a dry towel and uncover only the parts of her body you are actively washing.
*Close the windows and draw the curtains to make sure the room is warm.
*Don’t soak your baby too long in the water.
*It is not advisable to bathe your baby every day. A sponge clean-up can do in chilly weather.
*Apply moisturizer after bath to keep your baby’s skin soft.
5. A comfortable room: It is advisable to keep the room temperature between 20 and 22 degrees centigrade for your newborn. The room should be well ventilated. Your baby must have a stable temperature that isn’t too hot or cold. Use a humidifier to prevent the air from becoming too dry. An optimal room temperature creates a comfortable atmosphere for your baby.
We agree, parenting can be overwhelming, but when taken care of small things it can be a cakewalk. Our aim is to make things as simpler as possible for any parent out there. This blog highlights the importance of maintaining the right temperature for your baby and how to do that. We hope we were able to add some value and ease things a bit.
To know more about parenting, read the blog “Different Parenting Styles: Tips to raise your child beautifully”.
Note: This article is for educational purpose only. If you need any support regarding growth and developmental tips for your child, please free to submit your queries on https://www.bellefi.com/support
We would be happy to assist you !!